Friday, September 28, 2007

Last Hard Workout


There are plenty of logistical needles left for me to thread, but I've done my last hard workout before Nationals, packed up my bike, and I'm ready to fly home to Minnesota tomorrow first thing.

So, my last hard workout as it turned out was at night in the rain in Central Park.  That wouldn't be such a problem, but a sprint workout is hard to do like that.  I was spinning my rear wheel on the road, of course, and 40mph in the dark, in the rain, has little to commend it. 

A Manhattan-dwelling raccoon with places to go and people to see almost ended my season, but we narrowly missed each other.  I don't remember any raccoons in A Cricket In Times Square, but there should have been one.  They're all over Central Park.

This ride also ends my global training tour, which has seen me hauling my bike to Australia, Canada, New York, etc., in the last month alone.  It's a stressful way to train.  The road bike stayed here in NYC over the last week.  I was able to ride a stationary bike in San Jose on Wednesday, then fly overnight to NYC where the bike awaited.  I haven't missed a day of training almost all season.

I felt really good tonight--track racing is a power sport, and I felt like I was going to rip the handlebars off the bike tonight.  I'm ready.  To prove it, my only current injuries are some nasty calluses on my hands, and a nagging ache in my right elbow.

No comments: